September 23, 2015

WATERCOLORS: A LOVE STORY

I think that watercolors were invented to paint whales. I've been admiring a lot of watercolor work lately, so I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a set of paints. I got this set of Kuretake Gansai Tambi solid watercolors, and promptly used them to paint this grumpy fellow.  
This whale is the first of many, I'm sure. I just love the way the water blends the colors and then leaves behind such a cool texture. 

These paints are a dream to work with. They can be super thick and opaque, or not. Whatever you want. The range of colors is beautiful and I like that each color has its own little container so I don't have to have them all out at once. These Aquash Water Brushes have also been great. They are especially good for adding water to the dry paints, and I like their portability

These metallic paints are probably what sold me on this particular set. They are so pretty in real life, and opaque enough to show up well on dark paper. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun playing around with them, so look out for lots of shiny, watercolor whales in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment