October 21, 2015

DROP ME A LINE

When I was little and snail mail was the coolest (because it was only ever for the grown-ups), I thought having a pen pal was just the ultimate. I had romanticized ideas about writing to someone in a far away country, and then we would become best friends, and someday meet in person and it would be magical. I never had a pen pal like that, but I did try to write regularly to one of my cousins, and then to a classmate who moved to another state. But it never lasted. Receiving letters was always much more exciting than actually writing them, and finding a stamp and an envelope became just too great a challenge.

Now I live thousands of miles away from my family and letter writing is suddenly very appealing again. This time it's the envelope art that's so enticing, but I am also enjoying sending notes to my siblings across the country. Now that I know exactly where the envelopes and stamps are, maybe I'll be able to keep it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment