August 19, 2015

GONE CAMPING

I’ve always had a fascination with other languages, and I especially love finding words that don’t have a direct translation in English. They give you a little insight into other cultures, and being able to name something, makes you more aware of it.

For example: shinrin-yoku. This Japanese word literally means “forest bathing” and refers to taking in a forest atmosphere for relaxation as part of a balanced lifestyle. To let the sights, sounds and smells of a forest wash over you.

Nick and I are going out tomorrow to one of Alaska’s public use cabins for a long weekend getaway. Spending more than one day away from plumbing doesn’t usually appeal to me, and it sounds too uncomfortable to be relaxing. But lots of people really like this camping thing, so I’m trying to keep an open mind about it and give it a real try. Maybe keeping shinrin-yoku in mind will help. I’ll report back next week, if I’m not eaten by a bear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment