August 17, 2015

LIFE LATELY: IN DOODLES



1. Every morning begins with tea. A whole pot if I get up early enough to have enough time to drink it. I have a love/hate relationship with mornings, and I’ve been working on developing routines to make them easier. The promise of tea helps me get out of bed and the rest of my day is always better when I’m able to start it peacefully and with a hot beverage.

2. Nick and I have been breaking glasses left and right. A few drinking glasses have bit it and I shattered my beloved water bottle. But the glass is fighting back. I got a nasty cut and nearly passed out one evening. This is especially disconcerting because…

3. We’ve been eating ⅔ of our meals out of glass canning jars lately. This is a reaction to too many frozen burrito lunches and a general spirit of laziness when it comes to packing a lunch (and breakfast) every evening for the next day. So the past couple of weekends, I’ve assembled enough make-ahead oatmeal and lunch salads to get us through the week. It’s kind of labor intensive, but it makes the rest of the week a lot simpler and we are eating so many more vegetables. It’s great.

4. My siblings are big fans of the Hardcore History podcast, so I gave it a listen, starting with the Wrath of the Khans series. I’m a little unsure about this podcast. From what I’ve heard so far, a better name for it might be Harcore Blood, Guts, Torture & Basically Any Horrible Thing Humans Can Do to Each Other History. It’s pretty gruesome. But...these things did really happen, and I’d rather hear about it than see it, and the podcast is very well done. I’ll keep listening for now.


5. My brass menagerie is growing. I never made a conscious decision to start collecting brass animals, but I’d been admiring them for some time and then I started finding them in thrift stores. First a small pair of quail and a whale. Then duck bookends. And then I made the mistake of actually searching for them on Etsy. A beautiful pair of deer arrived this week and now I have my eye on this snail. I’ve always loved animal figurines, and when they’re also gold and shiny and heavy, I can’t resist.

1 comment:

  1. I think some of these doodles have great potential for pattern making. I especially like the salad jars and deer. Just imagine an apron made out of a salad jar or teapot print! What fun!

    ReplyDelete