August 10, 2015

PATTERN MAKING

Earlier this week, I took this class on Skillshare all about pattern making. Now all I want to do is turn all of my doodles into repeating patterns, it's that much fun. 

I made my original tile by cutting up a piece of paper, rearranging the pieces and then taping it back together, just like the class says to do. Unfortunately, I am not equipped with a high-quality scanner, so the edges of my tile were getting lost and I couldn't perfectly line up the copies to make the pattern repeat seamlessly. Perfectionist that I am, that just was not good enough. But I did get a glimpse of what was possible, and it was looking pretty cool.


So I retraced my balloons and decided to do all of the cutting and rearranging digitally to make the tile you see above. I think my balloons were pretty cute all on their own too...





But the real magic is in the pattern making. And then in the coloring. I love how a different color palette can completely change the feel of the pattern, and I really couldn't pick a favorite. 


If you'd like some pretty hot air balloons for your desktop background, just follow the links below for a larger image to download. And you can expect to see many more patterns here in the future. Enjoy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment