August 31, 2015

BOOK REPORT: AUGUST




1. Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis: I read Lewis' space trilogy as a kid, and I didn't remember much about it except that I really liked it. This time around, it took me a little while to get into the first book, but I did enjoy it. I loved the description of how sunlight feels in space, and the idea that what we consider to be cold, dead, outer space, is actually full of light and life. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

2. Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie: This was a fun read, but it didn't make a very lasting impression. I love the imaginary world that Luka goes adventuring in, and there are some great side characters, but somehow the story never really hooked me.  

3. Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar: This one was recommended to me and I'm a sucker for happiness psychology, so of course I read it. This was a good one in a broad strokes kind of way. It didn't have a lot of day to day practical advice, but rather addressed larger philosophies of life. What really stuck with me was the hamburger analogy that made it clear that I should be looking for "hamburgers" that are both tasty in the present and good for me in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment